Saturday, November 1, 2014

Happy 1st Birthday Landon!

Today we are going to a birthday party for some wonderful friends whose son turned one last week.  We have spent a lot of time with Landon during his first year!  His daddy is a policeman and so I thought it fitting to make a police car card.  This is a paper piecing card.  Which means that a pattern is found or created (from a coloring book or drawing) and cut into pieces that are then used to cut out the colored pieces of paper.  In this case I found this pattern online.  To give credit, it is purchased from: http://stampndesignstore.blogspot.com/  I did tailor it to my own taste.  I think this is a perfect example of how important pen work and chalking is.  It takes longer to do all that small detailing but it makes the details stand out and gives dimension to the colors. I chose a darker color than the paper I was using and chalked most of the edges by using a foam make up sponge and dabbing it around the edges.  For the black hood and tires I used a grey and silver.  For the grill I scored it first and then went over it in black.  I used both black and white pens.  I think this is important because some colors favor white more than black but I also believe this is a personal choice.  I try not to do solid lines but break them up with some dots.  There isn't a pattern to this and it takes practice not to try to be symmetric or rhythmic.  I used two types of glue for this card.  A wet glue (Scotch paper glue) and a dry glue (Scotch advanced tape glider)  Some pieces are too small for a tape runner and some like the windshield that is velum over blue needed a find line around the edge so it didn't show which meant it needed to be liquid.  Hope Landon loves his card half as much as we love him!
Happy 1st Birthday Landon!

1 comment:

Candace Pelfrey said...

This looks amazing! I love your ink shading and white gel pen accents!
~Candace
JB owner